Runner & Guest Handbook
The Vermont City Marathon will be timed using the latest ChronoTrack Tag system.
Our ability to provide accurate timing and essential medical assistance when necessary depends on YOU.
Follow these steps to help us serve you:
Bib & ChronoTrack B-Tags
- Complete the emergency contact information on the back of your bib. Regardless of how physically fit you feel on race day, completing this information may save your life.
- Your ChronoTrack B-Tag is a timing device adhered to the back of your bib.
- Pin the bib to the front of your shirt.
- Keep your bib visible at all times. Do not hide or cover your race bib.
- Do not fold, crumple or otherwise alter your bib in anyway. Doing so may destroy your timing device.
- No Tag, No Time. No Exception.
- ChronoTrack B-Tags are non-transferable.
- The ChronoTrack B-Tag provides runners with accurate race timing. Through a computerized system, your tag transmitter will be read at the start, finish and intermediate locations. You must cross all locations to get an official time.
- You must wear the ChronoTrack B-Tag provided in your packet. Do not trade tags or bibs with anyone. Your time corresponds with your bib number.
- All runners must be registered to participate; running under someone else’s name is grounds for disqualification according to USATF rules.
Marathoners Participating in Relay Teams
Marathoners may participate as a member of a relay team. The Marathoner must wear both their Marathon bib and ChronoTrack Tag and Relay Team bib and ChronoTrack Tag, and must exchange the wrist band at the 2-Person Exchange Zone in Oakledge Park. Please read our Relay Team/Marathoner Scenario Info Sheet for everything you need to know about which bibs to wear and where to exchange.
Note: Participants MUST use the clear gear check bags provided in your runner bag at Race Packet Pick-Up.
NO OTHER BAGS will be checked, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Please do not leave bags of any kind unattended. Any items left unattended will be removed immediately and destroyed.
Gear check is intended for race day gear (warm-ups, post-race clothing).
You should write your bib #, name and cell phone number on your gear check bag in the space provided. We promise to take good care of your possessions, but urge you not to check your valuables.
1st Leg Runners
Secured gear check is provided for relay participants at Oakledge Park (the 2-person Exchange Zone).
First leg runners give gear to your 2nd leg teammate to check at Oakledge Park.
First leg runner should claim gear as soon as possible after arriving at Oakledge Park.
At 11:30am, unclaimed gear will be transferred to the RunVermont office (One Main Street, Suite 304, Burlington) and available on Monday.
Items not claimed in one week will be donated to charity.
Oakledge Park Gear Check: Open 8:30am to 11:15am.
2nd Leg Runners may check gear at Battery Park (7:15-9:10am ) for pickup at Waterfront Park finish (10:00am-2:30pm).
The 2-Person Relay Exchange is located within Oakledge Park. The relay legs are approximately 13.1 miles each. When the first leg runner reaches the exchange zone s/he will pass the wrist band to the second leg runner. Because both runners are wearing ChronoTrack Tags, no exchange of the timing tag is necessary.
The first leg runner will receive a 2-Person Relay medal at the end of their leg and will also have access to food, water and Gatorade before heading back to Waterfront Park. Using the race course/bike path to return to Waterfront Park is prohibited. Please use the Relay Bus (see below).
Do NOT drive to Oakledge Park; there is no vehicle parking at or near Oakledge Park.
There are a limited number of bike racks in Oakledge Park.
If you arrive by bike, be sure to bring a lock. Bike racks will be REMOVED at 3 p.m.; please get your bike before 3 p.m.
2-Person Relay Bus:
2-Person relay runners are encouraged to use the relay bus that travels to and from Oakledge Park. Buses are located on St. Paul Street at King Street. Buses, leave St. Paul/King starting at 8:20 a.m. and run continuously until 11:15 a.m. Buses departing downtown through 8:50 a.m. will drop runners 200′ east of the entrance to Oakledge Park. Buses departing after 8:50 a.m. will drop runners 1/2 mile from the 13.1 exchange zone in the park. From the bus stop, follow the signs toward the lake and Oakledge Park. Leave yourself plenty of time to get to your exchange area.
Buses Returning from Oakledge Park will transport runners who have completed the 1st 13.1 mile leg. Runners departing Oakledge Park before 10:30 a.m. will need to walk to Pine Street at Flynn Avenue, approximately 1/2 mile east of Oakledge Park to pick up the bus. Beginning at 10:30 a.m. this bus stop will move to the entrance of Oakledge Park. Runners will be dropped off at the corner of St. Paul St. and King St., 5 blocks from Waterfront Park.
Complimentary post-race showers are available at the Burlington YMCA to runners with a Vermont City Marathon race bib. The Burlington YMCA is located .7 miles from Waterfront Park at 266 College Street (map).