RunVermont’s Miles for a Mission program was created in 2009 to help local charities raise financial support through the People’s United Bank Vermont City Marathon and Relay. This program was designed to strengthen ties between the running community and Vermont charities.
Each year, RunVermont carefully reviews applications to be the Miles for a Mission “Charity of Choice.” This designation enables the chosen organization to promote their mission and fundraising activities through the race’s many components. The Charity of Choice is selected with consideration to the impact of the organization’s work and the thoughtful plan for the best use of the marathon and relay slots to raise awareness and support. We are pleased to announce that Easterseals Vermont has been selected as our 2019 Charity of Choice.
If you or your organization are interested in applying to become the 2020 Charity of Choice please contact Chuck Spear at [email protected]
Charity Partner FAQs
Can anyone run for charity?
Yes. Contact the charity of your choice directly.
Can I support a charity that is not listed?
You can, but you will have to contact that specific charity personally. Through the Miles for a Mission program, you can support our official charity directly.
If I raise a lot of money will entry fee be refunded?
That depends on the guidelines of the charity you’re raising money for.
Who should I make checks out to?
The charity you are raising the money for.
Can I create an individual fundraising webpage?
Yes, all charities use fundraising websites and can provide you the information on how to set up your personal page.
How do I let my friends and family know I am running for charity?
From your personal fundraising page, you can send emails to your friends and family. They can donate directly online to your cause using a credit card.
Who do I contact if I have more questions?
You can email or call the RunVermont office 802-863-8412 / 800-880-8149, or contact the charity of your choice directly.
Benefits to the Charity of Choice:
- Guaranteed number of relay teams at a substantial discount.
- Charity’s logo (linked to its website) will appear on the Miles for a Mission section of the Vermont City Marathon website.
- Promotion via news releases, social media, newsletters, blog
- Marathon-related media partners directed to charity for additional messaging
Organizations must apply to be the Charity of Choice. The Miles for a Mission application is available in October each year. For any questions please contact Registration Director 802.863.8412 (toll-free 800-880-8149) or via email.
The application requests the following:
- Organization’s mission
- Proof of Non-profit 501(c)3 status
- Designated contact person and contact information
- The number of marathon and/or marathon relay slots requested
- Organization’s plan for using the event for fundraising and the total fundraising goal
- How funds raised will be used, including percentage that will be used in Vermont
Please contact, Registration Director, at 802.863.8412 (toll-free 800-880-8149) or via e-mail